Monday, February 27, 2012

The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman


Miss Jane Pittman was 110 when "interviewed" by Ernest Gaines. She was 10 or 11 years old when slavery was finally abolished, and The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman follows her through her life from the end of the Civil War to the Civil Rights movement. It follows her to 4 different plantations, as a slave, housemaid, field hand and wife of a horse-breaker. It follows her through every heartbreak, every death, every injustice, and every joy she ever experienced in her life.

As good as I thought this book was, I don't think I would have appreciated it enough if I hadn't read it for English class. Keep in mind that I am only 14 years old, and therefore do not know everything about American History, but I think this book would have been a difficult read if I did not have my teacher explaining the different historical event that take place. I recommend this book to any English or History teacher teaching about the Civil Rights Movement, but I do not recommend it to a person just looking for something to read. It was very informative, but not a spectacular read by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment